Wednesday, January 23, 2008

People often ask me if I have a life verse.

If I do, it is Jeremiah 15:16, "Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart." It's kind of my testimony. I was going nowhere in a hurry and I found this book God wrote and began to feast on it like a soldier devouring his last meal. When the Word of God is absent from my life my heart is hungry. When I feast on the Bread of Life, my heart overflows with joy.
I love the vivid pictures with which the Bible describes itself, adding such insight into how God uses it in our lives.

FIRE
Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of Hosts, 'Because you have spoken this word, behold, I am making my words in your mouth fire and this people wood, and it will consume them,'" (Jeremiah 5:14).

SWORD
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than and double edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
sword black copy.

HAMMER
"Is not my word like. . . a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?" Jeremiah 23:29
SEED
"Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever" (1 Peter 1:23 NKJV). In one of His parables Jesus said, "The seed is the word of God" (Luke 8:11 NKJV).
MILK
"Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow." 1 Peter 2:2.
MEAT
"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word or righteousness." Hebrews 5:12-14.
LIGHT
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105
MIRROR
"For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror, for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effective doer, this man will be blessed in what he does." James 1:23-25

God is faithful to His Word and we who place ourselves in the flow of that unceasing work are the continual benefactors.

No comments: