Monday, March 31, 2008

Books don't change people; paragraphs do.

Some times even sentences. I remember an Monday morning i just got done with class. I just picket up a new book by C.S Lewis.... Even if i had not read another page, my life would have been changed forever. I can probably boil it down to two sentences: "We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. we are far too easily pleased." I don't think anythings would ever be the same again. just one paragraph and the decisive work was done.

The point is that much reading of many books may be like the gathering of wood but the fire blazes forth form a sentence. The mark is left on the mind not by the kindling of many pages, but by the red-hot iron of a sentence set on fire by God...........

2 comments:

Joe McKinley said...

Good Thoughts...

Reading can many times seem bland and ritualistic, but then you come upon the right chapter, paragraph, sentence, or word and your mind is on fire.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.